- The Surat Islam Yatimkhana Society, a registered charitable Trust (Reg. No. F/158); was founded on 4th August, 1918 by the elite and visionary Muslims leaders like HH. The Nawab of Belha, HH. The Nawab of Sachin, Sheth Arif Ismail Bham of Rander, Seth Haji Ahmed Botawala of Rander, Seth Mehmood Ahmed Shaikh of Calcutta and Seth Dilaverkhan Rahimkhan of Calcutta, a Namdar Begum Sahiba of Belha and many more. The aim of the society was to provide and fulfill the needs of Shelter and Education of orphan Muslim boys and girls and promote education among ‘The Muslim Community’ including establishing school and colleges. The first President of the society was Nawab Meer Muzaffar Husain Khan Sahab and first Hon. Secretary was Nawab Meer Masud Alam Khan Sahab ( Nawab of Belha).
Aims & Objectives:
- To undertake extramural studies, extension programmes and fied outreach activities to contribute to the development of society. particularly focusing on quality and higher education.
- To sincerely strive and achieve the goals and objectives of the SURAT ISLAM YATIM KHANA SOCIETY “SIYS” meticulous planning and implementation of its policies/decisions by team of SIYS.
- The Surat Islam Yatimkhana Society, a registered charitable Trust (Reg. No. F/158); was founded on 4th August, 1918 by the elite and visionary Muslims leaders like HH. The Nawab of Belha, HH. The Nawab of Sachin, Sheth Arif Ismail Bham of Rander, Seth Haji Ahmed Botawala of Rander, Seth Mehmood Ahmed Shaikh of Calcutta and Seth Dilaver Khan Rahim Khan of Calcutta, Namdar Begum Sahiba of Belha and many more. The aim of the society was to provide and fulfill the needs of Shelter and Education of orphan Muslim boys and girls and promote education among The Muslim Community including establishing school and colleges. The first President of the society was Nawab Meer Muzaffar Husain Khan Sahab and first Hon. Secretary was Nawab Meer Masud Alam Khan Sahab ( Nawab of Belha).
- In the year 1925, the government of Bombay Presidency gifted land for construction of Orphanage at F-Tika No.2, Survey No.2, Nanpura, Surat. The foundation stone of the first orphanage building was laid by The Honourable Governor of Bombay presidency, Sir Lesley Orem Wilson on 1st February 1926. Total construction cost was Rs.19,201/- The major donation of Rs.12,000/- was contributed by Seth Botawala family of Rander.
- The honour of becoming first two Patron of the society goes to Janab Muhammed bin Abdul Wahab Misri Sahab of Bombay and to the well known Zoroastrian gentleman of Bombay Seth Rustamji Mancherji Kooka in the year 1920.
- The society acquired land at Nanpura, in the year 1922. The society was registered as a Public Trust on 10th July 1929, at the instance of Bombay High Court, under Societies Registration Act No. XXI of 1860, thereafter in 1951 it was also registered under Bombay trust Act-1951.
- In the year 1939 efforts for constructing a Mosque was started by the committee and a beautiful Mosque was built and completed in the year 1942 at the total cost of Rs.6294/- It was decided to construct new hostel building adjoining the existing building in the year 1990.The new hostel building was completed for occupation in the year 1992 having dining hall on the ground floor and boarders rooms on 1st and 2nd floor.
- One more floor ( 3rd Floor) was constructed on new hostel building in the year 1992-93. From Sept. 1997 SIYS started a Computer centre for Boys and Girls. SIYS acquired the administration of “Muslim Students Hostel”. Decision to redevelop this building was taken and followed thereafter.
- During the year 2000-2001, a scheme for assisting orphan Muslim girls residing in Surat city area was introduced. Accordingly, Muslim yatim girls were provided with School Fees, Text Books, Note Books, Uniforms, etc.
- It was decided during 1999-2000 to arrange “Nikah for Muslim Yatim Girls” every year and the first such function was held in the year 2000. Till date such 20 Nikah functions are arranged and more than 700 orphan girls were blessed under this programme. Newly wedded couples were gifted household necessities like Clothes, Almirah, Bed, Bed Sheets, and Mixer-Grinder, Chairs etc. From June-2008 “SIYS Boys Primary English Medium School” was started in the Yatimkhana Complex.
- Hostel: Modern Hostel built for Yatim and privileged students of the community. All necessary facilities, special room, hot and cold water, modern kitchen, playground laundry etc. provided to students. Students provided beds, pillows, bed sheets, towels, soaps, medical facilities. Full time Supervisor appointed for hostel.
- Madrasa: Character Building and Islamic knowledge is a bedrock policy of SIYS. Students get very punctual training to become good and practicing Muslim and future assets to the community. Qualified four Alims are appointed to teach students to read Quran, Namaz/Prayers, Hadith, and Islamic History etc..
- Tuition: To improve performance of students several teachers who are experts in different subjects are appointed. After school hours on regular bases appointed teachers teach students individually. Particular attention given for subjects in which students are weak. As majority students are orphans and are coming from weaker economic back ground special extra coaching proves very beneficial.
- Computer Lab: SIYS has State of Art computer LAB having 20 computers .Qualified Computer Engineer engaged to teach students M.S. Word, M.S. Excel, M.S. Power Point and Computer courses covered in school syllabus.
- CEVG: Center for Educational and Vocational Guidance: In order to guide students SIYS has started for choosing right Career. Experts of different fields appointed for Career guidance. CEVG helps students to fill form for various Govt., NGOs and private scholarships. Above two major activities have helped thousands of students to set substantial financial help as well as choosing right Career.
- SIYS Boys Primary English Medium School: Since June 2017 SIYS has started English medium school. The school has classes from K.G. up to grade 4th. The school is open for hostel students as well as outsiders.
- Crescent Boys Primary School – Gujarat Medium: Beside English medium school SIYS runs Gujarati medium school up to Grade 8th. Majority students are outsiders. In 20180-19 the school produced 100% result in all 8 grades. Once boys complete grade 8th SIYS makes an arrangements for further studies for SIYS boys.